Two SGA bills found unconstitutional

Marcel Mayo

Two bills were passed and two other bills fell short after being deemed unconstitutional during Tuesday’s Student Government Association meeting. 

Chief Justice Kelsey Luttrell reiterated the reasons behind Bill 8-15-F, Bill to Assist the Physics Department, and Bill 9-15-F, Bill to Assist the Art Department, to be unconstitutional.

“The reason that we determined both of those bills unconstitutional was because of Bylaw 6.1 which says SGA may allocate funds solely to students,” said Luttrell.

Luttrell hopes to implement an adviser over the judicial council, similar to the senate cabinet of SGA.

“We think that there needs to be a separate adviser appointed to oversee judicial council. I think we need to have a separate advisor that has some sort of legal background,” said Luttrell.

Bill 11-15-F, Funding from Organizational Aid appropriations for Alpha Chi Chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi, Pinky Promise, WKU College Youth in Government, Vietnamese Student Association, and Black Leadership and Academic Conference (b.l.a.c.) was approved unanimously.

Bill 12-15-F, Organizational Aid Appropriations for Phi Alpha Theta, Project Grow, Kentucky Association of Nursing Students (KANS), and WKU Chinese Club, was also approved by the Senate.

The Herald will have more about the bills deemed unconstitutional in Thursday’s issue.