Enhancements add excitement to game day experience

Sophomore Sam Kirby of Union performs outside of the Downing Student Union before Friday’s game. Nick Wagner/HERALD

Haley Ruckman

Game day activities on campus have upgraded for fans with a revived tailgating location, new food and other options to choose from during games.

Tailgating on South Lawn is back to normal after two years of Topper Café being housed on the lawn while Downing Student Union was being renovated.

“The Café looked foreign and out of place,” graduate student Kalu Njoku said. “I’m glad we have South Lawn open to use again. It’s much better like this.”

Ben Brewster, a 2007 WKU graduate, agreed with Njoku.

“Hopefully this will be the start to being one of the best tailgating spots on campus again like it used to be when I was here as a student,” Brewster said.

Students and families alike came out to tailgate around campus. Many decided to camp out next to the Preston Center, in clear view of the stadium, to wait for kick off.

Scott Taylor, who has been tailgating at WKU football games for more than five years with his friends, said he thinks South Lawn is the best place to tailgate.

“You are literally steps away from the field and you are in the center of everything that is happening leading up to the game,” Taylor said.

Also new to fans is the food. Smith Stadium now offers Moonlite Bar-B-Q, Pizza Hut and many other options for fans to enjoy.

“I like that they added Pizza Hut this year,” sophomore Monique Brummett said. “It’s fast and easy, and really good during the game.”

Moonlite Bar-B-Q is quickly becoming a fan favorite as well, as long lines of people waited to order during the game.

“It can be a long wait, but it’s worth it when you get the BBQ,” freshman Keylee Rainwaters said. 

Businesses are also offering a new way to cheer on the Hilltoppers, via the tents on the goal line closest to Guthrie Tower. These tents are available to rent during each home game.

Each addition to the game and the hours leading up to it brings interesting opportunities for families, companies and students alike.

“I like that they gave us all these options to choose from,” Allie Thomas, a freshman new to football games, said. “That way I can try something new every game.”