Students attend special DSU celebration

DSU Manager David Emerson (left), Vice President of Student Affairs Howard Bailey, Student Government Association President Nicki Seay and President Gary Ransdell cut the ceremonial ribbon during the Downing Student Union opening on Tuesday, Aug. 26 in Bowling Green. Mike Clark/HERALD

Jessica Voorhees

Students gathered early Tuesday on the first floor of the Downing Student Union for a small ceremony to celebrate the near-completion of the building’s renovation. 

The DSU faculty hosted the celebration, which featured giveaways and raffles from various campus organizations, such as the Academic Advising and Retention Center and the Center for Career and Professional Development. Students passed through DSU between classes to visit the booths and grab a free snack and a T-shirt. There were also tours of the renovated building.

David Emerson, associate director of Student Activities and Union Operations, said the ceremony was put on “to celebrate for our students’ crowning moment.”

During the event, new food options in DSU were a popular topic of discussion, including Steak ’n Shake and RedZone, which now has extended hours. 

Students had varying reactions regarding DSU’s opening. 

Morganfield junior Riley Robinson said she feels welcome in the renovated building. 

“It’s a friendly environment,” she said.  

Powderly sophomore Miranda Lear said the constant construction was not a welcome sight on campus and she’s happy it’s over. 

“Students can actually see the beauty of the campus,” Lear said.

President Gary Ransdell closed the ceremony by cutting a ribbon and urging students to make DSU “the heartbeat of student life on campus.” 

There will be more opening ceremonies throughout the semester, including a community dedication Friday at 4:30 p.m. and a President’s Circle Gala on Sept. 5.