Toppers set to display improvements in annual Spring Game

WKU football Head Coach, Jeff Brohm, watches the players stretch during spring practice Tuesday, March 1, at Smith Stadium. (Mike Clark/HERALD)

Kyle Williams

With 14 spring practice sessions in the books, the Toppers are set to give WKU fans a glimpse of what to expect this season in the annual Red and White Spring Game today at 1:00 p.m. in Smith Stadium.

The game will be played with a normal game clock in the first half followed by a running clock in the second half.

A staple this spring has been improving in areas where the Toppers struggled last season. According to first-year Head Coach Jeff Brohm, the Spring Game is a chance for the Toppers to exhibit what they’ve learned thus far.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for fans to get a look at our guys,” Brohm said. “…Really just a chance for our guys to get out here and showcase their talents — all the hard work they’ve put in, all the time they’ve put in to improve their game. Hopefully it’ll be a great day.”

Redshirt senior quarterback Brandon Doughty will lead the Red team, which is comprised of mostly starters, against the White team, which will feature the backup players.

Other notable Red team players on offense include: junior running back Leon Allen, redshirt senior receiver Willie McNeal, redshirt senior offensive lineman Cameron Clemmons, sophomore receiver Taywan Taylor, senior tight end Mitchell Henry, redshirt junior tight end Tyler Higbee, sophomore running back Anthony Wales, redshirt senior receiver Joel German, sophomore receiver Nicholas Norris and redshirt senior running back Demetrius Coley.

Notable Red team defensive players include: sophomore linebacker Devonte Duclos, senior linebacker Terran Williams, redshirt junior defensive lineman Gavin Rocker, senior defensive back DeVante Thomas, sophomore defensive back Marcus Ward, redshirt senior defensive back Dalton Patterson, redshirt senior defensive back Ricardo Singh and senior defensive lineman T.J. Smith.

Five junior college transfers have also earned a spot on the red team in receivers Jared Dangerfield and Antwane Grant, linebackers Nick Holt and Dejon Brown and defensive lineman Ge’monee Brown.