Greek Week starts Sunday

Glasgow senior Hayley Biggers sings out commands during Kappa Delta sorority’s Spring Sing practice in the Chestnut Lot on campus on Tuesday. (Ian Maule/HERALD)

Whitney Allen

The culmination of a semester filled with hard work all comes down to one week for the Greek community at WKU. Greek Week will kick off with Spring Sing on Sunday, when fraternities and sororities show off their best moves and vocals at Diddle Arena.

Throughout the week, organizations will compete in Spring Sing, Greek Feud, a blood drive, Events Day and Tug. The week will come to a close with Philanthropy Day on Saturday followed by a convocation on Sunday.

Glasgow senior Taylor Emberton is a member of Kappa Delta sorority and one of the overall Greek Week chairs.

“I hope that Greeks realize the impact our community has on not only our campus but the community as well,” Emberton said.

The three-day-long blood drive in Preston is one of the ways Greek Week gives back to the community. This year’s goal for blood drive is to get 1,400 pints of blood.

Bowling Green junior Abby Potter is the Blood Drive chair and a member of the KDs.

“We want to make blood drive more of a community thing and not just a Greek thing,” Potter said.

Students, faculty, and community members are all encouraged to participate in the drive.

On Tuesday, the organizations will compete in Greek Feud. Each organization will be represented by one of their members and they will compete to see who has the best knowledge of Greek trivia. Contestants will answer questions about each organizations motto, crest, creed, founders, and history.

Events Day is the college equivalent to field day. Organizations will compete in a sack race, penny toss, 40-yard dash, musical chairs and an egg toss.

The faculty appreciation dinner will be Wednesday night at Mariah’s. Each organization will nominate one faculty member and one of their members will attend dinner with the faculty member.

One of the most anticipated events of the week is Tug. On Friday afternoon at the WKU Agriculture Farm teams of eight will lie down in a muddy pit and tug against one another for three minutes.

Evelyn Cordeiro, Pleasant View, Tenn., senior and Alpha Gamma Delta sorority sister, is one of this year’s Tug chairs. Cordeiro has tugged for AGD in the past but said she enjoys the leadership role now.

“I think that it’s a great learning experience to get closer to your sisters and brothers that are on the team,” Cordeiro said. “I hope that they learn new things about their organization.”

Philanthropy day this year is themed CANstruct for a Cause. Organizations are responsible for bringing their own cans to build a structure that represents their organization. After Philanthropy day the cans will be donated to local food banks.

Richmond junior Emma McAvoy is this year’s philanthropy chair and a member of Alpha Gamma Delta. McAvoy said CANstruct is a great way to educate the Greek community about local and global hunger issues.

“We decided to do CANstruct for philanthropy day of Greek Week because it has been a great way for us to partner up with the ALIVE center and to also show Greek interest and participation during National Volunteer Week,” McAvoy said.

Throughout the week, organizations will earn points based on how they do in each event. The winners of each event as well as awards based on chapter achievements throughout the year will be awarded at convocation in the Knicely Center.

“We have a rich history and tradition at WKU and we hope this week will celebrate that,” Emberton said.