SGA announces candidates, hosts PTS representatives

Leah Brown

The Student Government Association announced its executive officer candidates for the upcoming election.

There will be an executive officer debate Wednesday, April 2 at 6 p.m. in the Downing Student Union auditorium. The debate is a swipeable event. Students who attend get the chance to win an iPad. 

Current Administrative Vice President Nicki Seay is the only candidate running for president. 

Nolan Miles, Public Relations Committee head, and Brad Cockrel, chief of staff, are running for executive vice president. Liz Koehler is running for administrative vice president. There are a total of 20 students running for SGA senate positions. 

Students can vote for SGA representatives on April 8 and 9 on TopNet, and the results will be released in the SGA senate chambers in Cravens Library Room 111 on April 9 at 11:59 p.m.

Current speaker of the student senate Paige Settles said the speaker election will be on Tuesday, April 15. 

SGA is also working on some campus changes.

Director of Parking and Transportation Services Jennifer Tougas came and spoke in SGA’s meeting about the new parking and transportation plan for next year. The goal is to make it easier for commuter students to get to and from classes. 

The biggest change will be the number of commuter permits sold. There will be a limit to the number of permits available, and students who do not receive a permit will be put on a waiting list.

“It’s all first come, first serve,” Tougas said.

Commuter permit prices will also decrease from $200 to $160. 

She said there will also be a transit option for commuters living in off-campus housing areas.  For example, the Red, White and Green bus lines will either have changes to their routes or completely different routes. 

“I think we have a good plan,” Tougas said. 

In terms of legislation, after its first read on Feb. 4, SGA passed Resolution 1-14-S Tuesday night, which adopts amendments to its Constitution and Bylaws. 

SGA passed Bill 5-14-S which allocates $2,685 to different organizations on campus.

It also discussed and passed election codes, which allow running candidates to use sidewalk chalk and yard signs for their campaigns around campus.

Seay updated the SGA 2013-2014 fiscal year budget. SGA budgeted a total of $125,000.