5 things to read this morning

Herald staff

1. Gay students share experiences at WKU

In My Skin is a weekly feature series that looks to tell the stories of diverse student populations at WKU.

In the first feature, openly gay student Cody Cox talks about coming out at WKU and the reaction on campus.

In a meeting during MASTER Plan, Cox said a lady asked everyone to stand up and reveal something the floor didn’t know about them.

“I stood up and said I’m gay,” he said. “Literally every single person on my fl oor stood up and cheered for me. I wasn’t expecting that. That’s one of the highlights.”

Read the full story here

2. General education requirements changing in Fall 2014

Gen ed hours will be reduced by five hours when a new program called the “WKU Colonnade Program” lands in Fall 2014. The program will only require 39 hours instead of the present 44 hours.

Upperclassmen aren’t required to change to the new requirements, but can if it helps graduate on time.

Read the full story here

3. Fashion column debut

In Kae Holloway’s new fashion column, she discusses a fashion blogging trend she feels is unfair to women — listing clothing items women should avoid wearing because men don’t like them.

“The new year has started off with women being told that things they wear, things they may love, don’t appeal to a general, broad group of men polled for these articles,” says Holloway.

Read the full column here

4. National Signing Day brings in 10 Ky. recruits

This time last season Jeff Brohm, current coach and former offensive coordinator of the WKU football team, said WKU was “going to take advantage” of the relationship the coaching staff had with the city of Louisville and the rest of the state.

One year later, the Toppers are one step closer to being Kentucky’s team — WKU signed 10 in-state players during National Signing Day on Wednesday.

Read the full story here

5. Winter Term sees increase in enrollment

Winter Term experienced an increase in enrollment this year with a total of 2,139 students engaging in online, travel and in-class courses.

Winter Term gives students a chance to catch up in classes they might have dropped, and also helps students graduate early.

Read the full story here