5 things you should read this morning

Herald staff

Every morning the Herald print edition comes out, we will be posting streamlined versions of stories that we think are worth your time to check out. 

1. New Bowling Green ordinance allows for alcohol sales on Sunday

WKU is joining other state schools like the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville for a “Sunday funday”, now that the Bowling Green City Commission approved a new city ordinance legalizing the sale of alcohol on Sundays. 

Students are excited about the new ordiance, like Clarksville, Tenn. junior Aarion Hinds, who said he’s taken advantage of the ordinance since it passed.

“I’ve probably bought alcohol every Sunday since they started doing it,” he said.

Read the full story here

2. WKU administration prepares for $1.8 million budget cut

Gov. Steve Beshear’s budget proposal speech last Tuesday, that included a 2.5 percent decrease to Kentucky university operating costs, caught WKU administrators off guard, especially President Gary Ransdell.

“Frankly, up until a few weeks ago, I wasn’t expecting to be dealing with cuts at all,” Ransdell said.

If the General Assembly passes the proposed budget, WKU students could see a 3-to-4 percent increase in tuition.

Read the full story here

3. Downing Student Union renovations near completion in time for August opening

Dan Chaney, project manager of capital construction, said the renovation process is in its second and final phase before completion, and that construction was not stopped by the winter weather.

Chaney said new features of the renovated DSU will include a 24-hour study lounge, an updated recreational area featuring video game consoles, and an extra entrance for the WKU Store. 

DSU is expected to be open on Aug. 15 of this year.

Read the full story here

4. Spencer’s Coffee renovates inside to expand seating

Spencer’s Coffee reopened last week, shocking customers with its recent renovations.

Justin Shepard, owner of Spencer’s Coffee, said customers would walk in and say, “This doesn’t look like it belongs in Bowling Green.”

The kitchen and service counter are now more efficient, and the dining room expanded its seating from 50 to 80 seats.

Read the full story here

5. EDITORIAL: State education should be accessible to potential students

The Herald editorial board takes a stance on Gov. Beshear’s proposed budget cut for state universities, saying that public higher education is becoming inaccessible. 

If this cut is put in place, it means that WKU will have lost nearly 17 percent of its funding since 2008, according to a Herald article.  

Read the full story here