Weekend enforcement to combat parking abuses

Kayla Swanson

Weekend parking enforcement has begun, according to an email sent to WKU students and staff.

Jennifer Tougas, director of Parking and Transportation, said weekend enforcement was needed due to complaints and people abusing parking on weekends.

“We really found it necessary to bring it back,” Tougas said. “We saw students that would park all weekend long in the metered spaces around the residence halls, which meant that they were no longer available for short term parking which is why they’re there.” 

Tougas also said people would park in handicap parking spots without the appropriate credentials and in loading zones for long periods of time.

Tougas said all of these cases, such as parking in meters or in loading zones will now be enforced.

Despite new weekend enforcement, students will now not need permits to park on campus during the weekends, except in Housing lots beginning Sunday at 4:30 p.m.

Weekend parking enforcement is fairly new for Parking and Transportation, but there has been some Sunday night enforcement in the past.

“That was really to help with residents moving back into the residence halls after the weekend,” Tougas said.

The officer handling weekend enforcement will also assist the evening officer and with special events on the weekends, Toguas said.

Parking and Transportation is trying weekend parking enforcement as a pilot  to a larger program.

“We’re going to try it out and see how it goes,” Tougas said.