WKU students help raise money for Big Brothers Big Sisters event

DeAnn Wright, a nursing student from Franklin, jokes with her team before she goes up to bowl at Bowl for Kid’s Sake, a benefit event for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Wright came to the event with the Kentucky Association of Nursing Students.

Hayley Hilbert

The lanes were packed as the Big Brothers Big Sisters kicked off their fundraising event — Bowl for Kids’ Sake — tonight at Southern Lanes Bowling Alley.

A group of WKU nursing students, dressed in bright neon colors in compliance with the “Totally Awesome 80’s” theme, expressed their excitement to be a part of the event.

“We all came up with $30 dollars to donate,” Elizabethtown junior Brooke Scott said. “We thought the would be really fun, and we all really like to bowl.”

Maria Fisher, director of special events for Big Brother Big Sister, said 53 teams signed up to bowl in tonight’s session. Teams were composed of students as well as individuals from the community.  

“This is the first time we’ve done the Thursday night event at Southern Lanes,” Fisher said.  “In the past, when we’ve had it on Tuesday night and it was at DUC and only for WKU students.”

Some WKU students saw the event as a great way to give back to the community.

“I’ve always been a big fan of Big Brothers Big Sisters and what they do in the community,” said Sarah Rogers, a Louisville junior. “I’m having a great time, and its awesome to see all of the other students here.”

Evansville, Ind., junior Jessica Mattingly, who serves as the administrative assistant for Big Brothers Big Sisters in Bowling Green, said she considers the event very successful.

“We’ve made a lot of changes to the event this year,” Mattingly said. “And I think they’re all for the better. We put a lot of event information and registration online so we were able to reach more people.”

Bowl for Kids Sake continues this weekend, Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sunday, from 12:30 to 4 p.m.