Several WKU students and School of Media place in the Hearst competition

Two WKU students finished top 10 in the first photojournalism competition for the 2021-2022 Hearst Journalism Awards Program. 

Debra Murray, Digital News Editor

Several WKU students won the final multimedia competition of the 2020-2021 Hearst Journalism Awards Program and the School of Media finished second in the Hearst Intercollegiate Multimedia Competition.

WKU students have won 15 Hearst individual national championships since 1985. WKU students posted eight top-10 finishes in the four multimedia contests held this year. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill won the Intercollegiate Multimedia Competition followed by WKU.

One WKU team of 13 won the Team Multimedia Digital News or Enterprise Story Competition for an entry titled “These Days.” The team and WKU’s School of Media received matching awards of $3,000.

Two WKU students, Chris Kohley and Sam Mallon will compete virtually in June for the 61st annual National Writing, Photojournalism, Audio, Television, and Multimedia Championships. Kohley, a spring 2021 graduate from Streamwood, Illinois, is one of six photojournalism finalists. Mallon, a senior from Silver Spring, Maryland, is one of five multimedia finalists. 

Digital News Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @debramurrayy