WKU Commons nears completion, announcement on final restaurant expected soon

Debra Murray

As summer continues, construction on the Commons at Helm Library continues. It is expected to be finished by the fall semester.

Debra Murray, Digital News Editor

As the fall semester gets closer, work on the WKU Commons at Helm Library is being finished to provide students with new study spots and dining options. But the final piece of the puzzle – the restaurant that will replace Lost River Pizza, which WKU opted to cancel – has not yet been announced.

The first floor of the renovated Helm, which started its life was a basketball arena, will be devoted to dining mixed with seating and group space. The second floor will feature a coffee shop and has a large opening to the third floor, which is for academic space for studying.

Lost River Pizza was originally going to be included in the Commons, but WKU backed out of the contract after controversial photos of the owner were shared on social media.

The decision of what will replace Lost River Pizza has not been made, said Bob Skipper, WKU director of media relations. Skipper said he expects an announcement soon, after WKU signs a contract with the business.

In March, WKU President Timothy Caboni announced that the Commons will include Panda Express, Moe’s Southwest Grill and Rising Rolls, a fast casual eatery similar to Panera Bread. Another local business that students frequent, Spencer’s Coffee, also will be coming to the Commons.

WKU Commons will also feature a rotating offering of dining venues that change out roughly every six weeks. The first selection of dining options include Tavolino’s Fresh Italian Fare, Ever Grains’ Food for Wellness and Barbecue District’s Fire It Up Grill.

Digital News Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @debramurrayy