WKU returns to masks indoors

Signs placed around campus remind students how to be safe and stay healthy while on campus by wearing masks and social distancing from other students.

Debra Murray, Digital News Editor

Masks will be required in all WKU buildings starting Monday, Aug. 9, President Timothy Caboni announced today.

“I know this will come as a disappointment to some but will allow us to continue with a normal semester in light of the spread of the Delta variant in our communities,” Caboni said in the email that was released ahead of the full guidelines for the fall. 

In the next few days, the COVID-19 Task Force is supposed to announce guidelines for the fall, Caboni said via email.

In the email that went out to faculty and staff, Caboni stopped short of mandating vaccines, instead urging individuals to get vaccinated.

Northern Kentucky University mandated masks on their campus on Tuesday. The University of Kentucky and University of Louisville urge their students to become vaccinated, but will require regular testing for unvaccinated students and faculty. UofL requires students to wear masks, but currently UK only requires unvaccinated individuals to wear masks. Currently, Centre College requires all faculty and students to be vaccinated, and Berea College requires all students to be vaccinated, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

“WKU’s highest priority has always been the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.” Caboni said. “The Task Force will continue to monitor appropriate variables and to determine when masking will again become optional for vaccinated individuals.”

Digital News Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @debramurrayy