WKU to host Topper Fest

A crowd of tailgaters gathers on South Lawn under the Guthrie Bell Tower before WKU’s Homecoming game against North Texas on Saturday.

Wyatt Sparkman, Staff Reporter

To celebrate the start of the fall semester, WKU will host the first ever Topper Fest, President Timothy Caboni announced today. The event, which is free and “open to all members of the WKU Community,” will take place on the South Lawn on Friday, Aug. 20, from 4:30 p.m. until dark. 

“It is a reminder of the great value in gathering together and the centrality of in-person relationships to our works as a university,” Caboni said via email.   

The first 1,000 guests at the new Hilltopper event will be rewarded with a free Topper Fest t-shirt. The outdoor event will include entertainment provided by The Music City Sound, along with featured food trucks for attendees to enjoy a meal.

For questions about wearing masks, public health officials say mask are not typically needed outdoors and the University’s mask requirements extend only indoors. Caboni said in the email that WKU supports anyone who wears a mask outdoors at an event. 

“Western Kentucky University is a special place with a special Spirit,” Caboni said. “I look forward to celebrating that Spirit with you as we kick off the 2021 fall semester.”  

Staff reporter Wyatt Sparkman can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @wyattsparkman3.