Top 5 things to do while procrastinating your schoolwork

Price Wilborn, Commentary Writer

Let’s be real: college students procrastinate all the time. Many of you reading this are putting off assignments right now. So, what are you supposed to do with all that new time? 

Because my mom is reading this, I feel the need to say that these are not things I do, because I totally don’t procrastinate [insert wink here].

Here are my top five things to do while procrastinating.

Eat something

I don’t know about you guys, but I like good food. Is it a problem? Probably, but that’s not important. WKU has so many food options to choose from, and that’s something totally new to me! 

I’m able to walk across the way to DSU or to the P.O.D and find something to eat pretty much any time of the day. It’s awesome. Whether it’s for meals or a snack, food is important, and when you have good food, it makes you feel all warm inside.

I’ve forgotten to eat lunch before because I’ve been working on assignments, so eating is a perfect reason for me to stop what I’m doing and stop worrying, even for just a few minutes.

Read but for enjoyment

I’ve always loved reading (nerd alert, I know). Sitting down with a good book wherever I find it comfortable is something I do a lot. 

Now, I know that a lot of you (myself included) are reading full books for class, on top of all the articles and other assigned readings you may have. Getting into a good book, however, not only helps me to forget about everything I’ve got to get done, but it also helps me to relax.

If you need something to read, I always recommend Harry Potter, anything about history, biographies about someone that interests you (I’m currently reading Alex Trebek’s autobiography) or anything else on a topic that you like. It’s out there, you’ve just got to find it.

Binge your favorite TV shows

This whole pandemic thing has shown me the art of binging a TV show. I had never done it before, and then I was introduced to “The Office” (It’s kind of basic, I know, but it’s a great show and I highly recommend it). 

Finding something that you like can make your time so much more enjoyable! It’s something that you can do any time of day, no matter the weather. If you’re just not feeling it one morning, put on a show! If it’s raining and you can’t do anything outside, you won’t feel as bad about it! 

With all the different streaming services out there, you can watch pretty much anything you want to. Currently, I’m watching “The Office” (pro-tip, the first five seasons are free on Peacock) and “The Crown” (a fantastic show that just won eleven Emmy awards), and I highly recommend giving both of those a watch if you’re not sure what you want to binge next.

Go outside

What better way to forget about your assignments due at the end of the week than going outside on a sunny day with your friends? 

I don’t know about you, but I love being outside. With the weather changing, it’s starting to get cooler and more pleasant outdoors. 

That means you can do so much more! Whether you go to the South Lawn to throw a football, hang your hammock up by Centennial Mall, go for a walk around campus, or go enjoy any of Bowling Green’s many parks, you’ll always find something to do outside. 

Getting active is great for your health, both physically and mentally. If you go outside and move around, there’s no way you can feel bad about it! You’re putting your mental health first, and that’s the most important thing you can do.

Take a nap

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been much of a napper. Then I came to college. My schedule gives me so much time to be able to study, get work done or procrastinate. 

I’ve found myself worn out by constantly going some days, even if I get a lot of sleep the night before. Some nights I’m asleep by 10:30 or 11:00, and there are others where I’m not asleep until after midnight. Either way, there are days where I just want to take a nap. 

Napping gets you away from everything, even just for a few minutes. Not only do you get to forget about your stressors, but when you wake up, you’ll (hopefully) be rested and ready to get to work! Getting that second wind helps me to actually sit down and do what I need to do in a way that I wasn’t going to be able to before, and that could be the most important thing you can get from procrastinating.

There you go! My top five things to do while procrastinating. Of course, I should say for the record that I don’t recommend putting things off (hi mom!). If you find yourself just laying in bed in the middle of the day, trying to find something to do, I hope these ideas can help! Good luck! You’ve got this! Go forth and be awesome!

Commentary writer Price Wilborn can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @pricewilborn.