New Fulbright Scholar Program for educators to teach abroad to open in February

The Office of Scholar Development is housed in the Mahurin Honors College. OSD works with students applying for nationally competitive scholarships such as the U.S Fulbright Student grant. Rebekah Alvey/WKU

Damon Stone, News reporter

The Fulbright Program has always offered students and professors opportunities to enrich themselves and to learn and experience more about the larger world that we inhabit. 

The program will officially launch next February, with a virtual information event occurring on Monday, Nov. 1 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. CST. 

According to the Fulbright website, there are four potential opportunities such as Fulbright Scholar awards, Distinguished Scholar award, Postdoctoral awards and International Education Administrator awards.  The program offers “diverse opportunities for U.S. academics, administrators and professional to teach, research do professional projects and attend seminars abroad,” the website said.

The program is open to all areas of concentration, since it connects to colleges and universities from across the globe. Professors that participate in this program will have a new window into the world, and in turn, can incorporate their experiences with their teaching.

The event will explain what the program is, and what types of scholarships are being offered through it, along with what the resources for professors will be available through the program. In addition, it will highlight some programs and places that are available in the coming year so that faculty who are interested can pursue them. 

Anthony Harkins acts as a liaison for the Fulbright Program for the professors on campus, with Melinda Grimsley acting as a liaison for the program for students on campus. 

“Professors can bring a revived spirit of teaching to the classroom.” Anthony Harkins said, “It’s a rejuvenating experience for a lot of faculty and administrators. It shapes the world [students] live in on campus.”

News reporter Damon Stone can be contacted at [email protected]