WKU releases statement on COVID-19 guidelines for spring semester

Debra Murray

Jace Lux, WKU’s director of media relations and university spokesperson, explained that the university looks both to the CDC and its in-state peers to set COVID-19 policies.

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

WKU President Timothy Caboni sent an email to all WKU students on Thursday, Jan. 6, regarding finalized COVID-19 guidelines for the spring semester.

The semester will start on time with in-person classes. The rest of the spring semester academic calendar is also unchanged.

Mask policies remain the same as the fall semester. Masks are required at all times in public or shared indoor spaces, including hallways, elevators, classrooms and laboratories, as well as while using WKU transportation services. It is recommended for students to review the CDC’s mask recommendations

Anyone in the WKU community that tests positive for COVID or is identified as a close contact must call the WKU COVID Assistance Line within four hours of testing positive or being notified of exposure. That phone number is 270-745-2019. Quarantine may not be required for close contacts if they have received both the COVID-19 vaccination and booster.

Quarantine and isolation procedures have been updated to reflect new CDC guidelines. The most notable change is the shortened isolation period for positive cases to five days followed by masking for an additional five days. If a person is fever-free for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved, the isolation ends after these five full days.

The Graves Gilbert clinic on campus is offering COVID-19 vaccines and boosters for those eligible. The email strongly encouraged students to take this preventive measure and receive the vaccine and booster if possible. 

It was also requested that members of the WKU community report or update their vaccination status online. The form now allows the input of booster shot information.

For the latest WKU operating procedures, refer to the WKU Healthy on the Hill website

The email said that changes in public health guidance will continue to be monitored and any campus protocol changes will be updated on this website.

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].