Meredith wins C-USA Freshman of the Week for the second week in a row

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Lady Hilltoppers’ freshman guard Mya Meredith (5) attempts a layup against the Purdue Boilermakers in Diddle Arena during their opening conference match on Wednesday evening, Nov. 10 of 2021. Western lost the match 79-69.

Wyatt Sparkman, Sports Editor

WKU freshman guard Mya Meredith was named Conference USA Freshman of the Week for the second week in a row. This is the fifth weekly award for WKU Women’s Basketball, the most since the 2017-18 season.

Meredith scored her third 20-point game on Saturday against FIU. She scored eight points in the fourth quarter to help propel WKU to a 63-51 win, the Lady Toppers’ fifth consecutive victory. She also grabbed eight rebounds and accumulated four steals, both tying a career high. Meredith has shot an incredible 52% from the field and a remarkable 43.8% from deep across the winning streak.

Meredith and her teammates will play two road games this week, the first against Rice on Thursday at 7 p.m. CT and the second versus North Texas on Saturday at 2 p.m. CT.