Faculty senate approves colonnade courses, general education and academic affairs policies

At the final Faculty Senate meeting of the semester on Dec. 12, 2019, several actions regarding funding for academics were passed. 

Makaio Smith, News Reporter

Editor’s Note: The original version of this story said the Faculty Senate meeting was their budget and finance committee. The original version of this story also had an incorrect association name. The story has been updated with the correct information. The Herald regrets the error. 

The WKU Faculty Senate held their monthly meeting today where senators approved meeting minutes, colonnade courses and general education, and academic affairs policies. 

Due to WKU closing last Thursday, Jan. 20, the meeting was rescheduled for today, Jan. 27. 

Susan Eagle, WKU president for the American Association of University Professors, posted a report on two Kentucky House bills in the process of impacting secondary education. 

HB 14 and HB 18 are bills that “propose broad, undefined restrictions on teaching race, sex, and religion in both K-12 and postsecondary classrooms,” the report said.

Rob Hale, associate provost for Faculty & Academic Excellence, discussed the removal of three academic affairs policies and the revision of another, all of which are now incorporated in the Faculty Handbook.

Majority of the senate voted to approve the revisions of this AA Policy.

Patricia Todd, chair of the Colonnade General Education Curriculum Committee, provided a report regarding 14 Colonnade courses. Nine courses, including History of HIV/AIDS (HIST 309) and Introduction to Economics (ECON 150) were approved. 

Analytics and Technology (CS 131) and Health Care Organization and Management (HCA 340) was approved with “friendly” amendments. The Fundamental of Public Relations (PR 225) was approved with “Colonnade Objectives.” Race, Class and Crime (CRIM 361) was “rolled back to Dean for edits.” Global Health Service-Learning Practicum (HCA 459) was tabled. 

The majority of the senate, 41, voted to approve the report while three abstained from voting.

The next budget and finance committee meeting will be held at 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 24.

News reporter Makaio Smith can be reached [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @MakaioSmith.