Lady Topper Tennis starts 4-0 for first time since 2009-10

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers redshirt sophomore Alexis Cramer serves the ball to Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars junior Marta Krakowski on the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022, at Michael O. Buchanon Park’s tennis facility. WKU won the match 7-0.

Izzy Lanuza, Sports Reporter

WKU Tennis picked up their fourth straight win after beating the IUPUI Jaguars Sunday, making it the third time in program history that the Lady Toppers have started their season with a 4-0, the first time since 2009-10. 

“Again, our depth really helped us, and I was able to play eight players today,” WKU head coach Greg Davis said in a press release. “One of the things we really wanted to do in the early part of the year was get everyone in some matches. Get us some experience, so that would help us the longer we go throughout the season. Everybody stepped up in both doubles and singles today. As a coach, and an IUPUI grad, you are always happy to beat your alma-mater.”

The Lady Toppers started off strong by securing the doubles point. Freshmen Sofia Blanco and Mariana Zegada swept their matchup 6-0 before fifth-year senior Laura Bernardos and sophomore Samantha Martinez clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win. Due to Jaguar injuries, only two doubles matches were played.

WKU started the singles play with a default 3-0 lead due to injuries at the No. 5 and No. 6 spots for IUPUI. Redshirt junior Cora-Lynn von Dungern won her match 5-1 after her opponent was injured, causing her to retire the match. The win secured the fourth-consecutive victory for the Lady Toppers. 

WKU never dropped a set in their final three matches. Freshman Rachel Hermanova had wins of 6-2 and 6-3 at the No. 3 spot before redshirt sophomore Alexis Cramer won her matches 6-1 and 6-2 at the No. 4 spot. 

Redshirt sophomore Paola Cortez finished the day with wins of 6-2 and 6-3 at the No. 2 spot, giving the Lady Toppers a 7-0 sweep against the Jaguars. 

WKU will be playing three matches in three days next weekend. They’ll start off on Feb. 11 hosting Northern Kentucky at 6:30 p.m. before hosting Samford on Feb. 12 with doubles matches starting at 1 p.m. The Lady Toppers will then travel to Lexington for their match against Kentucky on Feb. 13. 

“I give our team credit,” Davis said. “We played well. We played focused. Everybody had a role in the win today. Extremely proud  of the team. We have three very tough matches next week. It is going to be a very challenging weekend for us.” 

Sports Reporter Izzy Lanuza can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @izzylanuza