Chai Chat offers students glimpse into Peruvian culture

Damon Stone

Students were given the opportunity to sample Peruvian tea at the International Center’s Chai Chat event on Thursday, Feb. 10.

Damon Stone, Reporter

The International Center hosted its first Chai Chat of the year on Thursday, Feb. 10, showcasing Peruvian tea and the culture surrounding it. 

The event was organized by Gabriela Guadalupe Vargas Berroa, an architectural science and interior design double major, who shared her cultural tea from Peru to other students on campus. While the actual tea was present, it was not the recipe that was distributed to students due to coca leaf being one of its key ingredients. Traditionally, the tea is consumed with sweet bread, which was also provided at the event. 

The tea is primarily used to help people adjust to a change in altitude after long bus rides between the highlands and swamplands of Peru. The tea helps with a sickness called Soroche, which involves stomach pain and headaches induced by the change in pressure, Vargas Berroa said.

Gabriela Guadalupe Vargas Berroa, an architectural science and interior design double major, was glad to share a bit of her culture. “To bring a little bit of Peru, like dancing, some interesting facts – it always cheers my heart, even though we are miles from Peru.” (Damon Stone)

“I am sad we couldn’t consume the actual coca tea, because it’s really good,” Vargas Berroa said. “But I understand that there are different policies – I am happy we could share my culture… to bring a little bit of Peru, like dancing, some interesting facts – it always cheers my heart, even though we are miles from Peru.”

Students at the event were greeted to a story and demonstration of a dance from Peruvian culture, done so using dyed alpaca fur. The story illustrated what production from leaf to tea was like during the 1980s, and how field workers who developed calloused hands or green feet were not permitted to return. 

“I think the tea is very nice, it’s something that I’m not used to,” Daniel Costa-McFawden, a WKU student from England, said. “Despite the different taste, I still quite enjoyed drinking it and the pastries that were provided as well.” 

The cultural experiences gleaned from the event allowed those who attended to gain a deeper insight into Peruvian culture through its tea and its traditions, both of which originated during the era of the Inca Empire and continue to this day.

“People should keep coming [to these events] because it has a lot of multicultural sharing.” Vargas Berroa said.

Previous instances of Chai Chat had to be canceled due to recent snow and ice storms. Because of this, students who attended were very gracious that they were finally able to experience such an event. 

“Despite the pushbacks, I think it was definitely worth the wait, for sure,” Costa-McFawden said. “In terms of being immersed in what Peruvian tea is, and the traditions, and stuff like that; it’s something I’ve always been looking forward to since it was set three weeks ago. I’m glad it was able to be a great event in the end.”  

Reporter Damon Stone can be reached at [email protected]