WKU Women’s Golf ties for eighth place in UNF Collegiate, Arnold places top-20

WKU Athletics

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers women’s golfer Sarah Arnold plays a practice round at Olde Stone Country Club. 

Adi Schanie, Sports Reporter

The WKU Women’s Golf Team tied for eighth place on Tuesday afternoon at the UNF Collegiate in Jacksonville, Fla. Junior Sarah Arnold earned a top-20 finish for the Lady Toppers. 

“I was pleased with our performance in yesterday’s second round,” WKU head coach Adam Gary said in a press release. “I wish we could’ve closed it out a little bit better today, and that’s something we’ll learn from.”

WKU played the first two rounds Monday, shooting 15-over 303 in the first round and a 2-over 290 in the second round. It was the best second round performance by any program at the tournament. Arnold shot 3-over 75 and 1-under 71 while three other Lady Toppers tied for 29th with 150 strokes combined for both rounds. 

For Tuesday’s final round of play, WKU hit three 2-over 74’s and a 3-over 75 to total 9-over 297 as a team for the final round score. Arnold’s 3-over 75 counted for the Lady Toppers and they finished tied for 19th place with a 5-over 221. 

Fifth-year senior Olivia Reed and freshman Faith Martin hit 74’s and tied for 29th with a final round of 8-over 224. Both were just one shot shy of securing a top-25 finish. 

Sophomore Rachel Rich improved by eight strokes from her second and third rounds, shooting 74 for the final round. Senior Kenlie Barrett tied for 33rd place with a 3-over 75.

“We’re staying in Florida this week, so hopefully we can take advantage of this weather and get some good work in ahead of our own tournament,” Gary said. “We’re familiar with that course, and I’m looking forward to seeing what we do.”

The Lady Toppers will be taking to the green for their annual Spring Break Shootout Monday and Tuesday. 

Sports Reporter Adi Schanie can be reached at [email protected].