Dungern sets program record, but Lady Toppers fall to Murray State

Allie Hendricks

WKU junior Cora-Lynn Von Dungern volleys the ball back to a Lipscomb tennis player during the tennis match against Lipscomb University at the Michael O. Buchanon tennis facility on Jan. 30, 2022. The Hilltoppers won 4-3, starting off their season off with 2 wins and 0 losses.

Izzy Lanuza, Sports Reporter

WKU Tennis (10-5) continued its 2022 season against Murray State, losing 5-2 on Saturday afternoon at their home courts in Bowling Green. 

For the seventh consecutive match, the Lady Toppers secured the doubles point, giving WKU the early lead of 1-0. The dynamic duo of redshirt junior Cora-Lynn von Dungern and redshirt sophomore Paola Cortez won their sixth consecutive doubles match 6-1 on Court 1, improving to 11-1 on the year. 

Dungern broke the record for most doubles wins in WKU history after she secured her 32nd doubles win. Lisa Friess (2017-19) recently held the record of 31-23 and Dungern improved to 32-11 in her career as a Hilltopper. 

Freshman Sofia Blanco and sophomore Samantha Martinez secured the early lead for WKU on Court 3, winning 6-4 and clinching the doubles point for the Lady Toppers. The No. 2 doubles match went unfinished with the Murry State Racers up 5-4. 

WKU didn’t carry over their success from doubles play into singles play, losing five of the six singles matches. The Lady Toppers lost in straight sets at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Freshman Rachel Hermanova evened the score at 2-2 for the Lady Toppers, winning 6-3 and 6-2 to improve to a team-best 13-2 on the year. 

The Racers then went on to take the final three singles matches, giving them the 5-2 victory against WKU. 

“Murray State came out in singles and really took control of the match…,” WKU head coach Greg Davis said. “I give them a ton of credit, they came in and really out played us to earn the victory. Rachel Hermanova played another great match at four, and we played well in doubles. The team and I were very happy for Cora becoming the top doubles winner of all-time in WKU history.”

The Lady Toppers will continue their spring campaign this week on the road for their first conference matchup against the University of Alabama Birmingham in Birmingham, Alabama on Monday. They will continue the road trip heading to Alabama State on Wednesday before heading to Alabama A&M on Thursday. All three matches will begin at 1 p.m. 

Sports Reporter Izzy Lanuza can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @izzylanuza.