Hilltoppers fall in a low-scoring game to Charlotte

Allie Hendricks

WKU freshman infielder Brett Blomquist slides into first base while attempting to steal second during the game against Western Illinois University at Nick Denes field on Feb. 20, 2022.

Camden Bush, Baseball Reporter

WKU’s (9-9, 1-1 C-USA) bats failed to get going Saturday, dropping its first conference game of the season 3-1 to the Charlotte 49ers (12-6, 1-1 C-USA). Charlotte evened the series for a rubber match on Sunday. 

WKU senior Aristotle Peter got his first start of the year against the 49ers. Peter went 3.1 innings allowing three runs, two of which were earned, on four hits and four strikeouts. Charlotte senior Will Lancaster went three innings, allowing only one run on three hits. Freshman Cameron Hansen relieved Lancaster and pitched the next six innings, shutting out the Hilltoppers.

The Hilltoppers plated one run on the day, but both freshman Ty Batusich and sophomore Aidan Gilroy recorded two hits. Sophomore Jake Cunningham and graduate Josh Madole led the way for the 49ers, both hitting home runs.

Junior Matthew Meyer walked to lead off the game, but that was all the Hilltoppers managed in the top of the first. Peter sat down the 49ers in order to end the first inning.

Batusich led off the top of the second with a single. Sophomore Andrew Delaney followed with a ground-rule double. The following batter got hit to load the bases before Brett Blomquist grounded into a double play, pushing in a run to give WKU a 1-0 lead. 

Lancaster retired the next batter to end the top of the second. Charlotte went down in order again in the bottom of the second. 

The Hilltoppers failed to put anyone on base in the top of the third. 

Madole led off the bottom of the third with a solo homer to tie it at 1-1. The following batter walked before WKU turned a double play on a bunt. Peter hit the next batter before allowing a single to put runners on the corners. The next batter walked to load the bases. Charlotte took a 2-1 lead on an error before Peter stuck out the next batter to end the inning.

Senior Justin Carlin led off the top of the fourth with a single, prompting a pitching change to Hansen. Batusich welcomed Hansen to the game with a single. Hansen retired the next three to end the top of the first.

Cunnigham led off the bottom of the fourth with a solo homer, making it 3-1. Peter retired the next batter before allowing a single to Madole. The next batter walked, prompting a pitching change to freshman Cooper Hellman. Hellman walked the first batter he faced before striking out the next two to end the inning.

Hansen retired the Hilltoppers in order in the top of the fifth, forcing three straight flyouts. Hellman allowed a walk in the bottom of the fifth and was relieved by sophomore Dalton Mesaris. Mesaris retired the first two he faced to end the inning.

Gilroy led off the top of the sixth with a double. The next three WKU batters were retired in order. Sophomore Lane Diuguid started the bottom of the sixth on the mound for the Hilltoppers. Diuguid allowed a single and a double in the inning, but the 49ers failed to score.

Hansen returned to the mound in the top of the seventh and sat down the Hilltoppers in order. Diuguid returned the favor and retired the 49ers in order to end the seventh.

WKU failed to score in the top of the eighth despite a two-out single. Cunningham led off the bottom of the eighth with a double. Diuguid walked the next batter before recording a strikeout. Graduate Logan Bowen replaced Diuguid with one out and ended the inning by forcing a double play.

Hansen retired the Hilltoppers in order in the top of the ninth to hand WKU a 3-1 loss.

Up next, the Hilltoppers will end their series with the 49ers in the rubber match in Charlotte, N.C., noon Sunday.

Baseball Reporter Camden Bush can be reached at [email protected].