‘Whatever it takes’ – WKU moves into its third week of spring practice

Marshall C. Canupp

Hilltoppers’ sophomore running back Jakairi Moses (3) breaks through the FAU Owls’ defense to gain yardage during their matchup at Houchens-Smith Stadium.

Cassady Lamb, Sports Reporter

The third week of spring practice has begun at Feix Field and WKU Football’s motto, “Whatever it takes,” is not going anywhere.

WKU’s running backs coach Enrique Davis said that he is looking for people to be great student athletes and do “whatever it takes” in academics and athletics, who “embrace and embody the culture” of being a student athlete. 

He said that he is looking for running backs taking care of the ball, protecting the quarterback, running fast, knowing what to do, having good contact, balance and agility.

Davis joined the Hilltoppers in January 2022. 

He said that the program is trying to be the best in the nation in everything they do.

“They’ve been going pretty good,” Davis said. “I think all seven of the [running] backs are really putting forward the effort to be better this year than last year.”

With it still being early on in spring practice, he thinks the program is on the way. He said they still have work to do and they will continue to work every day.

“Be in competition with yourself every day,” Davis said. “If you’re doing that, everything else is irrelevant.”

Running back Jakairi Moses said that he is personally trying to work on pass protection and pre-snap reads.

“I’ve been patient long enough,” Moses said about a potential “breakout” year. “But whatever God has in store for me, then I just go with the flow, I trust in [God].”

Moses said that the competitive aspect of the team and intensity on both offense and defense has picked up in the third week of practice.

“We come in here, we compete every day, iron sharpens iron — so we’re definitely doing that,” Moses said.

In light of Ben Arbuckle now leading the quarterbacks and Davis now coaching the running backs, Moses said nothing has really changed much within the offensive side and they’re using the same system.

“We have a lot of work to do,” Moses said. “The season’s not here now, but we’re going to get there.”

Sports Reporter Cassady Lamb can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @lambp0p.