SGA elects committee chairs, hears from provost on enhancement plan

Sean McInnis

Members of the WKU Student Government Association executive cabinet listen to proposals from senate member nominees at the meeting in Bowling Green, Ky. on Aug. 30, 2022. Sean McInnis / College Heights Herald

Bailey Reed, SGA reporter

WKU’s Student Government Association held its second meeting of the year on Tuesday, Sept. 6 to fill committee chair positions and hear from Provost Bud Fischer.

Fischer spoke to SGA about the university’s Quality Enhancement Plan. The provost’s office is holding focus groups throughout September to gather perspectives from faculty and staff on the QEP.

WKU is going to submit its 10-year documentation for reaffirmation of regional accreditation to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges in 2025, and part of this reaffirmation is the submission of a QEP.

According to the provost’s message, a QEP “reflects and affirms a commitment to enhance overall institutional quality and effectiveness by focusing on an issue that the institution considers important to improving student learning outcomes and/or student success.” 

Fischer said his goal, along with SGA, is to promote student well-being in the long run.

SGA members proposed suggestions to increase university quality, including mentoring freshmen, better promoting resources to students outside of the Mahurin Honors College and assisting students with financial competency. 

SGA President Cole Bornefeld nominated Trevor Clark and Tate Sign to serve as senators-at-large. Both were voted into their positions.

Bornefeld also took time to spotlight and commend Executive Vice President Garrison Reed for his work on Gov. Andy Beshear’s (D) higher education committee. 

Several committee chairs were nominated and installed.

Olivia Feck was unanimously voted to serve as the committee chair of student mental health and wellbeing.

Matt Gadd became chair of the outreach and student experience committee, Elizabeth DeLozier became chair of legislative operations, Will Hemenover became chair of the sustainability committee, Ahatali Tahiri became chair of the diversity, equity, and inclusion committee and Caleb Collins became chair of the community outreach committee. 

Aniya Johnson, SGA’s director of information and technology, said she is in the process of updating the SGA website. 

For those running in SGA’s freshman election, applications are due Thursday, Sept. 8 at midnight. Candidates must go to one of the two scheduled meetings for freshmen who are running. These meetings will be over Zoom on Thursday and Friday at 6 p.m.

To learn more about SGA, follow @wkusga on Instagram or reach out to Preston Romanov, SGA’s director of public relations.

SGA reporter Bailey Reed can be reached at [email protected].