WKU Soccer falls to LA Tech in C-USA opener

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers fifth year senior Alexis Bach (18) holds the ball during a match against the University of Kentucky Wildcats at the WKU Soccer Complex on Wednesday evening, Sept. 1. The Hilltoppers won the match 1-0.

Izzy Lanuza, Sports Reporter

WKU Soccer (3-4-2, 0-1-0 C-USA) fell to the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (3-5-1,1-0-0 C-USA) 0-1 in the first game of conference play Thursday night at Robert Mack Caruthers field in Ruston, Louisiana. 

“We played a very spirited LA Tech team tonight, and they deserved the victory,” head coach Jason Neidell said. “We will regroup and get ready for 2 big home games next weekend.”

The first 70 minutes of the game consisted of a defensive standoff between both clubs. The Hilltoppers took the only two shots for either side in the first half. WKU also did a great job of controlling the ball, not allowing Louisiana Tech to get in much of a rhythm in the first half. 

Both teams rejoined the field with more aggression after the half. A total of 12 shots were taken in the second half. The Lady Toppers took two on goal while the Lady Techsters had four. . 

LA Tech was able to score off a corner kick in the 71st minute. The ball bounced around the box before making its way into the back of the net. 

Right before LA Tech’s goal, WKU junior Lily Rummo almost scored the first goal of the game for WKU on a shot that bounced to redshirt senior Lucy Lyon who would shoot again and miss. 

This was the closest scoring attempt of the night for Neidell’s squad. Rummo had two scoring attempts during the game, sophomore Aspen Seaich, senior Sydney Ernst and Lyon each had one.

WKU Soccer will return to the Hill for two home games next week. The first game is Thursday, September 22 against UTEP at 6 p.m. CT. The Hilltoppers will also host North Texas on Sunday, September 25 at 1 p.m. CT. 

Sports reporter Izzy Lanuza can be reached at  [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @izzylanuza.