SGA fall election results announced, VP Reed appointed to Council on Postsecondary Education

Allie Schallert

President Cole Bornefeld congratulates Garrison Reed on winning his position for vice president in WKU’s Student Government Association’s chamber just after midnight on April 20, 2022. Reed has been appointed to serve as student representative on Kentucky’s Council on Postsecondary Education.

Bailey Reed, SGA reporter

Four Student Government Association meetings have been held so far this semester. SGA’s fifth meeting will feature brand new senators.

The results of the fall 2022 SGA elections were announced on Tuesday at midnight.

Rush Robinson, Callison Padgett and Rhett Helland will serve as the newest freshman senators. Neel Patel won the vote for Gatton Academy senator. The position of graduate student senator went to Shy’Ante Williams and the position of international student senator went to Salvador León Golib.

Padgett said she is “excited to join the mental health committee” because it is one of her passions.

“I am very excited to learn about WKU not only as a local community but also as an international community,” Golib said.

The vote total for the fall election was much higher than the previous year. According to SGA President Cole Bornefeld, the vote total last fall was 398, and the total from this fall was 805 votes.

SGA also announced that Student Body Vice President Garrison Reed has been appointed to serve as student representative for Kentucky’s Council on Postsecondary Education.

According to a release shared by SGA, the CPE oversees higher education institutions across Kentucky that included over 247,000 students during the 2021-2022 academic year.

The CPE aims to support higher education by monitoring academic quality, affordability, and policies surrounding higher education. It is composed of 13 citizen members, a faculty member,  a student member and the Commissioner of Education who serves as an ex-officio member.

“I want to give all students from all walks of life a quality education,” Reed said.  “I am humbled and honored to be able to serve close to 250,000 postsecondary students in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.” 

Reed’s current term will end June 30, 2023.

SGA’s next meeting is on Tuesday, Sept. 27 at 5 p.m. in the Downing Student Union senate chambers. For more information about SGA, follow @wkusga on Instagram.

SGA reporter Bailey Reed can be reached at [email protected].