WKU Basketball secure wins over UTSA

Tucker Covey

Freshman guard Acacia Hayes (10) shoots a layup during the matchup with UTSA in E.A. Diddle Arena on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023. Hayes scored a total of 31 points, the most she has scored in a single game during the 2022-2023 season. WKU won 77-69.

Izzy Lanuza

WKU’s Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams competed against the University of Texas at San Antonio on Sunday.

In Diddle Arena, the Lady Toppers faced off against the Roadrunners in a tense matchup. 

Junior Aaliyah Pitts scored the first points for WKU after knocking out a pair of free throws. The first quarter ended with sophomore Macey Blevins hitting a three, leaving the score at WKU 14-UTSA 24. 

Freshman Acacia Hayes started the second quarter by hitting another three for WKU. Hayes proved to be a standout star of the game by scoring 17 points during the first half. The halftime score ended with WKU 34-UTSA 42.

WKU started the third quarter with an 8-0 run. Sophomore Mya Meredith also secured her second three of the game. The third quarter ended with WKU outscoring UTSA, 19-14. 

WKU secured the lead in the fourth quarter with Junior Teresa Faustino scoring the seventh three of the game and Meredith securing six points. Hayes proved to be the standout star of the game by securing a career high of 31 points. WKU won 77-69.

Continuing the season, the Hilltoppers will face University of Alabama at Birmingham Jan. 11 in Diddle Arena.

WKU’s Men’s Basketball played the UTSA Roadrunners in San Antonio on Saturday afternoon. 

WKU began strong with Senior Jamarion Sharp securing four points and Junior Dayvion McKnight securing five within the first six minutes. The Hilltoppers also scored 11 straight points at the end of the first half. WKU went into the half after securing a 20-3 run. 

The Roadrunners began the second half hot by hitting two threes. Despite UTSA’s best efforts, WKU stayed in the lead with impressive plays from Sharp and McKnight, the standout stars of the game. The final score was 74-64, with the Hilltoppers securing the win. 

WKU will continue their season Jan. 11 against University of Alabama at Birmingham in Bartow Arena.