WKU Tennis defeats two of three schools in weekend stretch

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers freshman Rachel Hermanova celebrates a point against Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars senior Samantha Hayward on the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022, at Michael O. Buchanon Park’s tennis facility. WKU won the match 7-0.

Izzy Lanuza

WKU Tennis hosted a double-header against the University of Tennessee Chattanooga and Eastern Kentucky on Friday, Jan. 20.

The Mocs secured a 1-0 lead after winning all three doubles matches. Going into singles play sophomore Rachel Hermanova won in straight sets, securing the first point for WKU. Junior Paola Cortez earned her first win of the season, winning in three sets. Despite these wins, WKU was unable to beat UTC, losing 2-5. 

For the first time in the 2023 season, the Lady Toppers were able to win the doubles point while playing against Eastern Kentucky. The No.3 pair of sophomores Samantha Martinez and Mariana Zegada did not drop a game winning 6-0. Similarly the No.2 duo of sophomores Sofia Blanco and Rachel Hermanova won 6-1. The Lady Toppers secured wins for all the singles matches. 

On Saturday, Jan. 21, WKU traveled to Nashville, Tennessee to face off against the Lipscomb University Bisons. For the second match in a row, the Lady Toppers secured the doubles point with the No.2 pair of Blanco and Hermanova winning 6-1. Martinez and Zegada won their match 6-4. 

The Bisons were only able to secure two wins going into singles matches. Despite these wins, the Lady Toppers still won 5-2. 

WKU Tennis will return to play Jan. 26 against Austin Peay State University in Bowling Green, Kentucky.