WKU tennis loses to NKU and Cincinnati in weekend matches

Rachel+Hermanova%2C+freshman+and+%234+singles+seed%2C+lost+her+match+against+UTC+player+Emma+Van+Hee+on+Sunday%2C+February+27th.+WKU+Women%E2%80%99s+Tennis+won+their+match+against+UT+Chattanooga+overall+4-3.+

Kennedy Gott

Rachel Hermanova, freshman and #4 singles seed, lost her match against UTC player Emma Van Hee on Sunday, February 27th. WKU Women’s Tennis won their match against UT Chattanooga overall 4-3.

Chaz Mackey

WKU women’s tennis lost to Northern Kentucky University Norse’s 4-3 and Cincinnati 6-1 within their weekend stretch, Feb. 24-25 The Lady Toppers now stand 7-6 in the season.

On Friday, WKY faced Northern Kentucky. 

In doubles, Junior Samantha Martinez and Sophomore Mariana Zegda won their match 6-1. However, The Norse claimed both matches on court one and two to win the doubles point and go up 1-0 in the singles.  

Junior Paola Cortez won 6-4 and 6-2 to tie the match at one. 

Sophomore Rachel Hermanova gained the win following a forfeit from Northern Kentucky because of an injury. The match gave Hermanova her ninth win in the season and 28th in the career. 

In the final singles match, the Lady Toppers saw Junior Sunskrithi Damera go 6-1, 2-6 and 6-4 in her matches, giving WKU a 3-1 lead. 

The Norse responded to win the final three matches within three sets to win 4-3.

On Saturday, WKU tennis fell to the University of Cincinnati Bearcats 6-1 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Lady Toppers moved to 7-6 in the season. 

The Lady Toppers dropped the doubles point in two consecutive matches, losing on courts two and three.

Three different singles matches advanced into additional sets for tiebreakers. The other two singles matches played through all three sets. Ultimately the Bearcats won five of six matches to make the final score 6-1.

Hermanova scored the only point for WKU in the match up with a straight set 7-6 (3), 6-1 on court three. With this win, Hermanova is the first person in WKU to reach double digit wins in the season with a current record of 10-3.

WKU Tennis will return to the court Saturday, March 4 in Saint Louis, Missouri with a start time of 4 p.m. They will also face SIU Edwardsvillie on Sunday, March 5 at 9 a.m. 

Sports reporter Chaz Mackey can be reached at [email protected] .