Gordon Ford College of Business announces interim leadership

Photo provided by WKU.

The Gordon Ford College of Business announced that Evelyn Thrasher, senior associate dean, will now serve as the interim dean.

The announcement was made on June 30 and follows the departure of former dean Christopher Shook, announced in March, when he accepted a dean position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Prior to her promotion, Thrasher worked as an analytics and information systems professor since 2008 and as senior associate dean for faculty and administration since 2019. She stated via email that the process of finding an interim dean began in March, and nominations were called for tenured faculty and administrators

She stated this position is an “invaluable opportunity” to further learn about the university and to benefit current and future students, especially as a first-generation college student herself. Thrasher explained she is excited to work with college leaders and commit to student success.

“As a first-generation college student, it is a tremendous privilege to be part of a university dedicated to the success of students just like me,” Thrasher said. 

Thrasher anticipates the upcoming semester to build on the “positive momentum” produced by the college within recent semesters. She stated the efforts of former dean Christopher Shook and the faculty and staff led to starting the academic year with “record enrollment” and the largest Living Learning Community. This month, construction also began on the new Gordon Ford College of Business building.

“Whether as a faculty member, associate dean, or now the Interim Dean, I always get excited about the new year,” Thrasher stated. “The start of the fall semester is my favorite time of the year. Campus comes back to life and everything is possible. As I think about the start of this fall semester, I am grateful for the opportunities, challenges, and learning that this new role will bring.”

Jace Lux, WKU media spokesperson, said the university is pleased that Thrasher accepted the position and that her leadership will be beneficial to the college.

She has been instrumental in enhancing the college’s enrollment profile, and her student-focused approach will ensure that all business scholars have the resources they need to succeed,” Lux stated via email. “Her leadership will be an asset not only to her college, but to all of WKU.”

The Gordon Ford College of Business has not yet announced when they will begin searching for a permanent dean or any definitive candidates. Thrasher said the college is focused on the upcoming semester and that she “will make a decision regarding my candidacy [for dean]” when the search is announced.

“I am fully focused on planning for the year ahead and ensuring a successful start to the new academic year for our students, faculty, and staff,” Thrasher stated.

Alex Lebedinsky, department chair and professor of economics, will serve as the interim associate dean for faculty and administration. David Zimmer, economics professor and master of applied economics program coordinator, will serve as the interim department chair of economics.

Editor-in-chief Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].