PCAL Hosts Kona Kickoff for first day of classes

WKU+students+line+up+for+free+Kona+Ice+at+Henry+Hardin+Cherry+Hall+during+Kona+Kickoff%2C+on+August+21%2C+2023.+
Ian Pitchford
WKU students line up for free Kona Ice at Henry Hardin Cherry Hall during Kona Kickoff, on August 21, 2023.

The Potter College of Arts and Letters welcomed students back to campus with a Kona Ice event at Cherry Hall today.

Students at WKU receive the opportunity to flavor their own Kona Ice at Henry Hardin Cherry Hall during Kona Kickoff, on August 21, 2023.

Today marked the first day of class for new and returning WKU students. With temperatures reaching ninety degrees, students joined PCAL for a chance to be one of the first 300 students to receive a free shaved ice.

Parker Stallings, a freshman professional legal studies and philosophy major, enjoyed the community at the event.

“It already feels like there’s a real community here,” Stallings said. “I was excited to get a PCAL shirt during MASTER Plan.”

The event welcomed students outside of PCAL as well, like

freshman Elijah Haskins, an exercise science major. 

“My professor actually let me out early so I could beat the line,” Haskins said. “It was great, free Kona Ice, you can’t beat it.” 

Haskins said he was slightly stressed but excited for the beginning of the year. 

The event gave students the opportunity to socialize with their peers and meet PCAL faculty members, such as Darlene Applegate, chair of the Department of Folk Studies and Anthropology.

“PCAL is a community. It’s a place where students can explore their interests, gain skills to make them successful after they graduate from WKU, and where people create life-long relationships,” Applegate said. 

News Reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]