Phi Beta Sigma hosts ‘Sleep out for the Homeless’

Molly Dobberstein

Groups of WKU students gathered on South Lawn on Thursday setting up tents, working on homework and hanging out with each other to support Phi Beta Sigma fraternity during their annual sleep-out for the homeless event. 

“It’s been a big tradition in the chapter in the community,” Jakob Briggs, Phi Beta Sigma member said. “We’re getting people, students, organizations to come out and [donate] hygiene products, canned goods. Just sleeping out for to bring awareness to homelessness in our community.”

Martha Sales, WKU dean of students, Pastor John Lee of Mount Zion Baptist Church and social work professor Jay Gabbard were guest speakers throughout the night. 

“We’re going to listen to them (the guest speakers) and just learn more about this cause,” Hayley English, a sophmore Alpha Xi Delta member, said.

English and her sisters of Alpha Xi Delta gathered around a table talking and working on homework while their other sisters set up the tents they would be sleeping in. Participants brought blankets, sleeping bags and air mattresses to sleep. 

Jess Lee, senior Alpha Xi Delta member, participated in the sleepout for the homeless event last year. 

“It was a little bit cold overnight but it was good,” Lee said of her experience. 

Phi Beta Sigma expected around 200 people to sleep out on South Lawn from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Throughout the night, the campers created goody bags for the homeless with the donations that Phi Beta Sigma received.

“I think there’s gonna be a pretty big turnout, even bigger than last year,” Michael Diug, sophomore, said. “We have a lot of organizations that are really interested, and intrigued in what we do, and the good work that we do around here. It’s one of the greatest events, it’s something that you don’t really see around campus or really anywhere. It is really something to bring the community together.”

News Reporter Izzy Lanuza can be reached at [email protected]