WKU Soccer eliminated from C-USA Tournament by Louisiana Tech

Lady Toppers Fall In First Round
Arthur H. Trickett-Wile
Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers forward Kayla Meyer (24) jockeys for control of the ball over University of Kentucky Wildcats freshman midfielder Mallory Glass (15) and senior defender Maggy Henschler (9) during a match on Wednesday evening, Sept. 1 at the WKU Soccer Complex in Bowling Green, Ky. WKU won the match 1-0.

WKU soccer fell to LATech 1-0 Wednesday night, eliminating them from the C-USA tournament.

Home field advantage may have played a factor in the outcome as LATech hosted the tournament in Ruston, Louisiana.

The Bulldogs scored the game’s lone goal in the 40th minute.  WKU couldn’t respond on their eight shots and three shots on goal.  The Bulldogs held and nabbed three saves.

Sophomore goalkeeper Maddie Davis had five saves on the night, bringing her season total to 59.

The loss closes the 2023 season for the Lady Toppers.  A season that featured brilliant performances from the Lady Topper offense and defense.

WKU has eight departing seniors, fifth-years or graduate students. Ambere Barnett, Rachel Dewey, Sydney Ernst, Katie Erwin, Annah Hopkins, Carmen Marin, Kenlee Newcom, and Emily Speidel will each move on from the program.

Sports Reporter Michael Givner Jr. can be reached at [email protected].