Former WKU professor’s family announces his memorial service

Ed Bohlander with his two children.

Nicole Ziege

The memorial service arrangements for former WKU sociology professor, Ed Bohlander, have been announced by his family.

Bohlander’s memorial service will take place in the Jody Richards Hall auditorium on Friday, July 27, at 2 p.m. Crystal Bohlander, Bohlander’s wife, announced the details in a public Facebook post.

Crystal Bohlander encouraged family, friends, colleagues and students of Bohlander to share their own stories of memories with him, both at the service and to put into a book for their children.

“While our family hopes and expects many people to share, we know time will not allow all of them to be told in person,” Crystal Bohlander said in her post. “I respectfully request anyone who would be willing to send a story via email, to do so. These will all be collected into a book for the children to treasure forever.”

Bohlander died on July 1 after suffering from a coma in Vietnam. Bohlander and his wife were stranded in the country for three months and he died before they could return home together.

Bohlander earned his Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 1973. He retired after teaching at WKU for 35 years.

Before retiring, he received WKU’s Professor Emeritus title and taught courses in penology, crimonology, organized crime, delinquency, law and society and corrections. After retiring, he continued to teach part-time at the university.

Memorial contributions are suggested to the Edward Bohlander Scholarship Fund at WKU or to the Kentucky Innocence Project, according to Bohlander’s obituary.

This post has been updated.

Nicole Ziege can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Nicole Ziege on Twitter at @NicoleZiege.