Faculty member placed on leave pending investigation into misuse of funds

File photo of Cherry Hall.

Herald Staff

Civil Engineering faculty member Matt Dettman has been placed on unpaid leave “pending the results of an investigation into the possible misuse of funds,” according to a statement released by WKU. 

According to the statement, WKU has been in contact with law enforcement officials and has turned information over to the FBI. 

On Monday, Oct. 23, the College Heights Herald requested Dettman’s employment documents from WKU. 

According to records obtained by the Herald, Dettman was placed on “unpaid leave of absence” on Oct. 12.

In an email to Dettman on Oct. 24, David Lee, provost and vice president for academic affairs, notified Dettman that he would be removed from the James D. Scott Professorship in Civil Engineering, “effective immediately.” Lee also wrote that President Timothy Caboni had approved Dettman’s removal from the position. 

The James D. Scott Professorship in Civil Engineering is an endowed position in the department of engineering. According to Dettman’s employment records, he has held this position since 2001. 

Dettman was hired in 1992 as an assistant professor in the civil engineering technology program, according to a memorandum from former WKU president Thomas Meredith. In 1997, he was promoted to the rank of associate professor and in 1998, Dettman was granted tenure, according to employment documents. 

In 2006, Dettman was promoted to the rank of professor, according to employment documents. 

The statement from WKU can be read in full below:

“The University has placed Professor Matt Dettman, a Civil Engineering faculty member, on unpaid administrative leave pending the results of an investigation into the possible misuse of funds. Based on preliminary findings, WKU has been in contact with law enforcement officials and has turned all internal findings over to the FBI.

“WKU will have no additional information to share and will not comment further on this matter until the federal investigation has concluded.”

The Herald will update this story as more information becomes available.