On the Issues: Where do city commissioner candidates stand?

Chris Dimeo

Election Day is approaching on Tuesday, Nov. 8, and it is on this day that Bowling Green voters will elect their future members of the City Commission.

The Board of Commissioners is made up of four city commissioners as well as the current mayor. These individuals are responsible for representing the Bowling Green population in passing legislation concerning the city, such as orders for road or park construction or district rezoning.

12 candidates are competing for these four positions in 2016. This is an increase from recent years, with nine candidates running in the 2013 election and seven in 2010.

The current city commissioners are Joe Denning, Melinda Hill, Sue Parrigin and Rick Williams. Denning, Parrigin and Williams are seeking re-election this season, while Hill is running for State Representative, 20th District.

In order to paint a clearer picture of the candidates this year, we asked each candidate the following four questions about issues important to WKU students and recorded their responses:

1) Are you in support of a fairness ordinance, which would combat discrimination against LGBTQ persons in our community?

2)Will you work to see the Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act passed? Why or why not?

3) Some students are concerned about the way their cases are handled by the local police and WKUPD. If elected, what will you do to improve oversight of local policing?

4) If elected, what will you do to strengthen ties between the city of Bowling Green and WKU?

Ryan Fulkerson, Nathan Morguelan, Andrew Manley, Mark Bradford, Dan Rudloff, Derek Reeder, and Brian “Slim” Nash all responded via email.

For those who did not respond to our messages or who we were unable to contact, the responses listed here were gathered from their responses at the Debate in the District candidate forum.

Mark Bradford

Bradford said the construction of an Airpark next to the current Kentucky Transpark and the increase of quality development near Bowling Green’s Exit 28 are key issues. He said he feels he is one of the few voices advocating these issues.

Are you in support of a fairness ordinance?

MAYBE.

“I would likely need to see evidence that support for a Fairness Ordinance has majority or widespread support citywide. In addition, the extension of benefits does not come without costs to those who would be providing them.”

Do you support URLTA?

MAYBE.

“URLTA would almost certainly result in more cost, recordkeeping, and litigation…The net result from URLTA could be an increase in rental rates on those most vulnerable or those who are least likely to be able to afford a rent increase.”

How will you improve oversight of local policing?

“We need to ensure that there is an avenue where people who feel they were dealt with in an unfair or racist manner by the police can bring their complaints forward. We also need to make it clear that we expect fair and equal treatment by the police.”

How will you strengthen ties between Bowling Green and WKU?

“[I] think a primary role of the city is to grow the economy and try to produce the jobs and revenue that a university needs in order to thrive. I think we need to make an Airpark next to the Transpark a reality.”

Joe Denning

In 2011, Denning served as Bowling Green mayor, making him Bowling Green’s first African American mayor.

Did not respond.

Do you support URLTA?

Did not respond.

Did not respond.

Did not respond.

Ryan Gene Fulkerson

Fulkerson said he supports passing a fairness ordinance, increasing diversity in city employment, raising the minimum wage to a $10 living wage, adopting the landlord tenant act URLTA and developing downtown into a central business and entertainment district.

YES.

“Passing a fairness ordinance is part of my platform and something I believe should be done immediately. It is frankly a disgrace that currently in Bowling Green it is legal to fire or evict someone simply because they are gay.”

Do you support URLTA?

YES.

“I will work to pass URLTA. URLTA provides basic protection for both renters and landlords. In our majority renter community, I feel such protections would benefit both parties.”

“I believe we need to encourage community policing so that officers know the people in the neighborhoods they patrol and the residents know the officers … I also support increasing diversity in our police force, so our officers reflect the diverse community in which they work.”

“I will reach out and work with members of the WKU SGA to ensure that Bowling Green is addressing issues of importance to our student population … I will always be open to input from students on how Bowling Green can better serve the needs of our student population

Andrew Manley

Manley said he was also endorsed by the Kentuckians for the Commonwealth.

YES.

“I’m consistently on record as being in support of this policy and will be ready to make it a top initial priority once elected.”

Do you support URLTA?

YES.

“With over 60 percent of Bowling Green’s population being tenant occupied, it’s critical we support our community to ensure that all households have safe, adequate and fair housing.”

“I am in support of Community Policing practices … No one should live in fear of unequal treatment.”

“The City of Bowling Green and WKU have tremendous opportunity to partner on programs that will support the greater community … I’m interested in identifying projects that can support strengthening local public transportation, affordable housing and local food economy.”

Nathan Morguelan

Morguelan said he is donating his entire commissioner salary to Bowling Green charities and efforts. Morguelan was endorsed by Our Revolution, an organization started by Bernie Sanders, and by the Kentuckians for the Commonwealth.

YES.

“I am absolutely in favor of The Fairness Ordinance. I will sponsor and vote for it when elected.”

Do you support URLTA?

YES.

“Only two states in the country lack a piece of legislation that protects tenants and landlords universally. Kentucky is one of those states … Let’s fix that.”

“I’m very proud of all of our officers, but I would like to see more diversity within our police force … I am also happy that we are getting body cameras for all officers.”

“I’m not worried about strengthening ties between the city and university, that is already a beautiful relationship. What I am more focused on, is making sure that Bowling Green is the kind of city that retains WKU graduates.”

Jennifer Morlan

Morlan is a graduate of Southern Illinois University Carbondale.

YES.

Do you support URLTA?

YES.

Did not respond.

Did not respond.

Brian “Slim” Nash

Nash has worked extensively in the past with Uspiritus, an organization that benefits vulnerable youth.

YES.

Do you support URLTA?

MAYBE.

“Prior to considering support for URLTA I would like the see the City enforce the ordinances that are currently in effect … However, let me be clear, if additional efforts do not yield better results that tenants and landlords are currently receiving I will definitely place URLTA on the agenda for discussion.”

“I believe that on the whole the Bowling Green Police Department is one of, if not the most professional police departments in all of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I also believe that departments are made up of people and that people are vulnerable to mistakes and failure. As such, I commit to listening to the concerns that any citizen has concerning the police department or any City department, for that matter.”

“I am committed to working with anyone – administrator, faculty, staff and/or student – to continue a cooperative relationship between the City and the University … When one entity succeeds the other will benefit.”

Sue Parrigin

Parrigin has served on the Bowling Green City Commission since 2015 and is running for re-election. She has worked as a Program Manager for the WKU Workforce Training Center since 2012.

NO.

Do you support URLTA?

NO.

Did not respond.

Did not respond.

Derek Lee Reeder

Reeder is a WKU graduate and current Nurse Practitioner in Bowling Green.

MAYBE.

“I am open to reviewing the fairness ordinance however, I would need to see how the ordinance was written and what it contained before I could vote for it.”

Do you support URLTA?

MOST LIKELY.

“I believe that [URLTA] has a lot of protections in it for both the tenant and the landlord … Many cities in Kentucky have passed this ordinance so it is definitely something to research and consider.”

“I 100% support our police. They are the glue that holds our community together. I value the importance of officers going out into the community and getting involved in schools and local activities … We should also work to hire more minority police officers.”

“We need to find ways to keep more of [WKU’s] students here in Bowling Green. We also need to further engage the students and use there [sic] unique talents.”

Dan Rudloff

Rudloff has practiced law in Bowling Green since 1994. His wife is a teacher in the WKU SkyTeach program and his son is a Corporate Communications and Honors College student at WKU.

NO.

“It’s not currently a pressing problem in Bowling Green. I know this because I have two gay sisters and I have honorably served on the Human Rights Commission for two years, where I have learned that there is no forensic evidence supporting the need for such an ordinance.”

Do you support URLTA?

NO.

“I formerly served as a Magistrate on the Warren Fiscal court from 2011-2014 … URLTA was considered but was not adopted. Therefore, absent a substantial change in circumstances, The Comprehensive Plan should not be altered.”

“The key to police-civilian relations is establishing mutual respect in non-emergency situations so as to allow for better relations in emergency situations.”

“The City and WKU have an excellent working relationship, which I am honored to be the beneficiary of since I live and work downtown. The key to this and any relationship is trust and communication.”

MATT STEPHENS

Stephens is a part-time weather anchor for WBKO and WKU graduate.

YES. 

Do you support URLTA?

Did not respond.

Did not respond. 

Did not respond.

Rick Williams

Williams has served on the City Commission since 2013 and is running for re-election. He is a 50-year resident of Bowling Green.

NO.

Do you support URLTA?

NO.

Did not respond.

Did not respond.