SGA appoints three chairs, discusses two bills

Elisabeth Moore

Three new committee chair members were sworn in during the Student Government Association meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 13.

Savannah Molyneaux will be the sustainability chair, Michael Shelton will be the MyCampusToo chair and Amy Wyer will be the academic affair chair member.

In his report, SGA President Jay Todd Richey said the Out of Darkness Walk will be held on Sept. 24 at Ephram White Park from 10 a.m. until noon. This walk was made for suicide awareness and prevention by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

“This is not a SGA sponsored event, but I encourage all of you to go,” Richey said. “It is free to walk and donations are accepted until Dec. 31. I hope to implement something very similar within the SGA, which will be one of my primary focuses, so I thought it was very important to share with you all.”

In the director of public relations report, Murphy Burke said the SGA will be tabling on Wednesday, Sept. 14 in Centennial Mall all day. Students will be able to vote here for future student senators.

In his report, Campus Improvements Chair Zach Jones said the annual Campus Safety Walk will be held on Thursday, Sept. 15. It will begin in Centennial Mall at 6 p.m.

In the sustainability report, Savannah Molyneaux said the eco-friendly takeout containers sustainability has been working on have arrived at Fresh.

“Tomorrow morning, you will see me at breakfast time,” Molyneaux said. “I will be there [Fresh] talking to people about them. We will be there from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.”

In student speakers, Ryan Linton said Minton Hall will be hosting “Beyonce’s Lemonade Stand” on Friday between Downing Student Union and Minton Hall. The money that is raised will help Hope Harbor, a charity that works to empower and support anyone impacted by sexual trauma.

In unfinished business, Bill 5-16-F, Funding for Study Away Scholarships, was approved with no debate. This bill will allow the SGA to allocate $1,200 to the Office of Study Away for students to travel to different locations around the United States.

Bill 6-16-F, Funding for a previously granted Summer Term scholarship, was approved with no debate. This bill will allow the SGA to allocate $395 to fund a previously granted Summer Term scholarship to Daniel Brussel, who did not receive his scholarship due to technical errors.

There was no new business on the agenda. The next SGA meeting will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 5 p.m. in the DSU Student Senate room.

Reporter Elisabeth Moore can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @emoore938.