CAB plans campus activities

ShelBruce

According to the WKU Campus Activities Board’s website, if you’re interested in making moments “your mind can’t forget and heart will never let go,” CAB might be the place for you to make your mark while on the Hill. 

CAB is open to any WKU student who desires to help lead, promote and engage in social, educational and cultural enhancement events.

CAB is a student-run organization that puts on the events specifically for the students, faculty and staff on WKU’s campus, according to Public Relations Chair Rachel McClain, a sophomore from Bowling Green.

“We have all kinds of events, large and small ones, that we put on throughout the year,” McClain said. “We host the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan and Homecoming concerts, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which is a student play that happens around Halloween, and many other events.”

CAB intends to host a scavenger hunt in October. The winners will be presented with tickets to a concert, an international party, Big Red’s Roar and a place to watch the Floyd Mayweather fight. 

CAB also plans to host a Turkey Knockout in November where participants will bowl using frozen turkeys. 

“CAB is a great opportunity and an easy way to get involved,” Concert Chair Lorenn King, Owensboro sophomore, said. 

Students involved within CAB are designated to six different committees in charge of hosting various events: Public Relations, Concert, Film, Special Events, Late Night Novelty, and Lecture and Multicultural Student Interests.

“As concert chair, I am in charge of planning the Homecoming and M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan concerts,” King said. “This year [during Homecoming] we are lucky enough to host Hunter Hayes on his ‘21 Tour’ along with Kelsey Ballerini. We knew our campus was into country music, so we tried to stay with those artists.”

There is a place for everyone within CAB, whether it is one of the 15 leadership positions or as a general body member. According to McClain, each person is more than welcome to come and brainstorm ideas, help put on these events or even join a committee.

Ambriehl Crutchfield, a sophomore from Nashville, is involved in CAB as the chair of Lecture and Multicultural Student Interests.

“My favorite part about CAB is the community that you get once you join. It was the first place that I felt like I could be myself,” she said. “I know a lot of organizations are business-related, but this is fun, too.”

CAB also offers many networking opportunities within WKU’s campus. These include leadership positions and a chance to be a part of an organization that allows each member to dictate participation hours.

“I personally recommend it because it’s a fun way to get involved and you can choose how much time you want to put into it,” King said.

CAB has meetings every other Monday night in Downing Student Union, room 2081, at 8 p.m. Potential new members who are interested in learning more information about CAB can attend the next meeting on Sept. 14.