SGA outlines goals for the semester

Jay Todd Richey

Marcel Mayo

Leaving behind the Postergate controversy, the Student Government Association is preparing for the new school year with plans to create a bigger impact on campus. 

One of the first goals for the school is to see more commitment through student outreach and more involvement from the executive cabinet, said SGA President Jay Todd Richey.

“It’s vital to have support and communication through executive cabinet and senate,” Richey said. “There’s probably about a hundred things I want to do this semester.” 

Richey also plans to follow through with some initiatives he outlined in his campaign for president. MyCampusToo, aninitiative focused on incorporating underrepresented students into SGA, will be unfolding during this semester.

“I want more outreach to international students and for the regional campuses to be more included also,” Richey said.

Last school year, SGA approved Resolution 13-14-F, a resolution to support amending the University’s alcohol policy and Student Code of Conduct to promote safety and retention.  With the support of SGA, WKU moved forward with a policy change and will serve alcohol in the Garrett Conference Center with the construction of a new pub. However, Richey said alcohol will not be served in DSU.

Before the pub is completed, SGA will host a competition open to students to name the pub.

SGA Executive Vice President Nolan Miles also has goals for this semester. His goal for this school year is to stress to SGA senators  the importance of sitting on university committees. Another goal is to bring back the Dine with Decision Makers event. 

“In the past, Dine with Decision Makers has become a routine event that is often taken for granted,” Miles said. “This year I hope to change that and promote its importance to our university.”

SGA will hold its first meeting on Sept. 1 at 5 p.m.