Eli Young Band performing at Homecoming

Leah Brown

The Eli Young Band will help WKU students celebrate homecoming week this fall.

The country band will headline WKU’s 2014 Homecoming Concert on Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. in Diddle Arena.

Artists Frankie Ballard and WKU alumnus Will Hoge will be opening for the band.

Hoge studied history at the university then moved to Nashville to focus on music. He is a singer, songwriter and musician. He received a Grammy nomination for Best Country Song in 2012 for “Even If It Breaks Your Heart,” an Eli Young Band song. 

The Campus Activities Board is sponsoring the event.

Andrew Nash, student activities coordinator, said in an email that the Eli Young Band is a great fit for the Homecoming concert since they are an up-and-coming band with three singles and a newly released album.

Students involved in CAB and the Student Activities Office were asked for input on who they wanted to perform during Homecoming, Nash said.

The Eli Young Band hit the Billboard charts with three of its more popular songs “Crazy Girl,” “Even if it Breaks Your Heart” and “Drunk Last Night.”

The band also released its fifth album, “10,000 Towns” on March 4.

“The EYB has been one of my favorite artists for a long time,” Louisville senior Laurel Morris said. “I’m so excited to get to see them since it will be my last Homecoming week as a WKU student.” 

Ballard, one of the opening acts, has opened for other prominent country singers such as Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift and Bob Seger. Ballard released his second album “Sunshine & Whiskey” on Feb. 11 and hit the charts with his single “Helluva Life.”

“Bowling Green is a country town. We definitely wanted to go with a genre that would most easily fill Diddle Arena,” Nash said.

Tickets went on sale Tuesday. Tickets can be purchased at the WKU ticket office, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at 1-800-5BIGRED. Student tickets start at $24 and non-student tickets start at $34.