SGA executive candidates debate, present

Leah Brown

The Student Government Association Executive Officer debate took place Wednesday night in the Downing Student Union auditorium. 

Dean David Lee of Potter College and Herald editor-in-chief Joanna Williams moderated the debate between the two candidates running for executive vice president: Brad Cockrel and Nolan Miles. 

To begin the debate, current administrative vice president Nicki Seay who is running unopposed for SGA president spoke about why she is qualified for the position.  

Seay has been on SGA for the past three years and has a passion to serve the student body. Her priority is to make student voices on campus heard. She plans to use Adobe Connect to broadcast SGA meetings so that students who cannot make them may still be involved in their decisions, she said. 

After an audience member asked Seay if she will be able to balance SGA president and a double major, she replied by saying that she plans to only take 12 hours with no classes on Fridays for the coming semester. 

Although Miles could not attend the debate, he participated through a phone call. 

Cockrel spoke first for their portion of the debate explaining why he felt qualified for the position. He said he has a lot of experience dealing with student organizations as well as holding various leadership roles in other extracurricular activities. 

Cockrel’s three biggest principles are empowering community, ensuring opportunity and extending sustainibility. 

“One of the biggest things I want to focus on is advocating for RA housing,” Cockrel said. 

Miles has a passion for WKU and wants to focus on student involvement and diversity within SGA.  

Miles plans to make SGA representative of campus as a whole by getting more diverse organizations and groups on campus more involved. 

“It was good to hear Nolan’s opinions on things,” Cockrel said. “I feel like I adequately represented myself and I feel like adequately represented the ideals I would like to work for and how I will be a strong candidate.” 

Students can vote for candidates on TopNet April 8th and 9th.

“I think the debate was very successful,” President Keyana Boka said. “It was unfortunate that two of our candidates couldn’t make it.”