Jake Owen performs at WKU

Jake Owen sings during his concert Thursday, April 24, 2014 at E.A. Diddle Arena in Bowling Green, Ky. (Mike clark/HERALD)

Leah Brown

Palm trees, leis, cold drinks and hula skirts swayed to beat of the music last night.

This did not take place at a beach in Florida or South Carolina, but in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Country singer Jake Owen brought everything but the ocean to Diddle Arena Thursday night for his beach themed “Days of Gold” tour with bands The Cadillac Three and Parmalee. The Campus Activities Board hosted the event.

CAB Public Relations Assistant Caitlin Newman said that they sold a little over 4,000 tickets for the show.

Earlier before the concert, students at the Preston Center spotted Owen working out.

“I was passing Preston and saw on Twitter that he was there so I went in and got a picture,” Hopkinsville junior Natalie Majors said.

The Cadillac Three opened the show and performed their hit song “The South.”

Parmalee followed their performance singing songs off their album “Carolina,” such as “Musta Had a Good Time” and “Close Your Eyes.”

The crowd sung along as the band ended its portion of the show with their well-known song, “Carolina.”

The audience waited in suspense after Parmalee finished and a huge sheet dropped down over the stage reading “Jake Owen: Days of Gold Tour.”

Fans screamed as the sheet fell, lights flashed and techno music played, but Jake Owen was nowhere to be seen. Instead of beginning his performance on stage, the spotlight shined down on the bleachers where Jake Owen was singing among his fans.

In the beginning of the concert, he played one of his newest songs, “Beachin’”, to go along with the overall theme of the concert. The stage was filled with palm trees, tiki bars and hanging lights.

Throughout the performance, Owen grabbed fans cell phones and took selfies of himself while he was performing.

He also sung his other hit songs “Barefoot Blue Jean Night,” “Alone With You,” “Ghost Town” and “1972.”

Owen said he was not planning to perform his song “Heaven,” but made a special exception for two of his fans who got to slow dance on stage while he sang the song.

Owen ended his concert showing a video of places around Bowling Green and WKU’s campus.

“It was one of the best nights of my life because of Jake Owen’s beautiful hair,” Louisville sophomore Vince Lewis said.