WKU offers scholarships at study abroad fair

Aaron Mudd

Each semester, Study Abroad and Global Learning holds a fair for students to receive information about Study Abroad opportunities. This semester’s fair will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 12.

The fair will last from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the lobby of Mass Media and Technology Hall.

“It’s basically an info fair where we have representatives of our different program providers,” Katherine Hale, a study abroad advisor, said. “This is a great way for students to be able to get more specific questions answered.”

Students who attend the fair can receive a free T-shirt and the chance to win a study abroad scholarship. The scholarship awards $250 for winter or summer study abroad programs or $500 for semester-long programs.

“Students that are awarded the scholarship can use it any time before graduation,” Hale said.

Over 900 students attended the fall fair, and 360 attended the spring fair last year.

“We hope 400 plus students will be in attendance,” said Hale.

Students often choose to study abroad in Western Europe, Latin America and Asia. Harlaxton College in Grantham, England continues to be a popular location each semester.

“We send 30 to 40 students each semester,” Hale said. “The top program is Harlaxton right now.”

Locations in the Middle East and Africa are also growing in popularity with the recent addition of an Arabic degree program.

“With Arabic becoming a new major at WKU, I see more advisees who are interested in going to Morocco, Jordan and other countries in the Middle East to study Arabic,” Hale said.

Hale said English is the number one international language, and more opportunities are becoming available for students who only speak English.

“There are a number of programs that students can choose from in Asia where they can take their whole semester or summer courses in English,” said Hale.

Students in science, technology, engineering and math fields, or STEM, may also find study abroad appealing.

“We are trying to encourage more STEM students to consider study abroad because there are a lot of options for them as well,” said Hale.

Hale said students considering study abroad should plan for it early.

“I think study abroad can give students a leg up in the job search,” said Hale. “There’s a lot of funding for study abroad. Finances shouldn’t be a hindrance.”