BG OnStage presents ‘Ramona Quimby’

Ben Scott and Abby Murphy go through scenes for the play adapted from Beverly Cleary’s “Ramona Quimby” on Jan. 25, 2014, at the Faculty House. The play is directed by Elise Iannuzzi and has a mixture of volunteers from the Bowling Green community and WKU students.

Kristina Burton

BG OnStage, the resident community theatre of Van Meter, hopes to immerse adults and children alike in the world of one of author Beverly Cleary’s most popular characters: Ramona Quimby.

Elise Iannuzzi, director of the production, said the theatre company’s dramatic adaptation, “Ramona Quimby,” centers around an everyday family in anywhere America.

“The story is set in a quiet little neighborhood where not much happens,” Iannuzzi said. “Beezus, the narrator in the beginning, tells the audience that you can see shows about princesses, knights in shining armor — all these crazy things — and learn all this cool stuff in school, but sometimes the best story is in your own backyard.”

Iannuzzi said the story follows Beatrice — “Beezus” — and Ramona through their family problems and school drama.

“It’s a cute family show,” Iannuzzi said.

Abby Murphy, a fifth-grade student from Bowling Green, plays the titular role of Ramona Quimby, a student who feels like no one understands her.

Iannuzzi said one of her goals with the during the school day performances of “Ramona Quimby” is so children will realize that the kids onstage are just like them.

“I hope that kids who are tentative to try theatre will see this and decide they want to do it, too,” Iannuzzi said. “I hope we have more kids participate in the future because they saw kids like them doing it.”

Murphy said the cast worked to create a show that will bring families together.

“There are some parts in the show where family comes together because they’ve just gone through a rough time,” Murphy said. “I hope audiences take away that they should always stick together and know that things will work out as they’re supposed to work out.”

School day performances of “Ramona Quimby” begin Thursday, Jan. 30 at 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. in Van Meter Theatre. Admission prices for these performances are $5 per student, with one free teacher or chaperone ticket for every 10 student tickets.