National Pan-Hellenic Council help students “Meet the Greeks”

Chela Counts

For many freshmen, the first week of college can seem overwhelming.

In between meeting new people, finding classes and adjusting to a new schedule, the thought of joining a Greek organization may not cross many people’s minds.

As an initiative to raise aware for their organizations, the National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted their annual “Meet the Greeks” forum in Downing University center’s Auditorium last night.

From 6-9 pm, active members from each of the “Divine 9” organizations, interacted with attendees and spoke to audience members about their organization and chapter’s history.

Shannon White, president of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, said it is extremely important for young women to know that her organization exists.

“Sigma Gamma Rho was the last created but best designed in NPHC,” White said. “… So it’s a really big deal for us to show our face because everyone knows about AKA (Alpha Kappa Alpha), Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta, but they forget about Sigma Gamma Rho, the pretty poodles of SGRho,” White said.

White became a member of Sigma Gamma Rho in the fall of 2011. She said her experience there is what motivates her to promote it other women.

“Once you make your presentation to everybody that you are now a neophyte, it’s just totally exceptional and you can’t experience anything like it,” White said. “… I felt like a woman, I felt like I arrived and it was a wonderful chapter in my life.”

Just as White once debuted her Greek letters to her fellow peers, DUC auditorium was full of freshman, and many other returning students who may one day soon reveal their letters as well.

Louisville freshman Ryan Jones said she was interested in going greek,

“I came to Meet the Greeks because I want to be an AKA,” Jones said. “I like that they have sisterhood, life-long friendships and are about network.”