Unique fundraiser hopes to raise $1k for United Way

ShelRogers

WKU student and faculty “prisoners” will report to “jail” to await “bail” during WKU’s second annual Jail and Bail event, hosted by the WKU Student Activities Office.

This year’s Jail and Bail is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in Centennial Mall, and all proceeds benefit the United Way of Southern Kentucky. WKU organizations nominate students and faculty members to be “locked up.” Prisoners must collect $50 in donations in order to “make bail,” said Mandy Baker, the Director of Volunteering for United Way.

Allison Smith, Student Activities Office graduate assistant, helped organize the event.

“It’s a great way to raise money for a really good cause,” she said. “Jail and Bail is an interactive way to get students involved.”

Smith said United Way was picked as the recipient of the donations because of WKU’s partnership with them. Currently, Student Activities has two fundraisers for United Way — Jail and Bail in the spring, and Penny Wars in the fall.

Last year, Jail and Bail raised $850 for United Way. This year, the Student Activities Office is looking to raise $1,000 for the organization. Baker said $1,000 can provide a multitude of services to the southern Kentucky area, including giving senior citizens glasses, paying for students’ GED tests or providing sexual abuse prevention classes to at-risk teenagers.

Kyle Smith, another graduate assistant with Student Activities, said there are “numerous” organizations signed up send a “prisoner,” including housing, athletics and Big Red himself.

“There are all types of ways to raise money for organizations,” Mr. Smith said. “But how often does a student get to see their teacher in jail for a day begging and bargaining for money to be released?”

He said students should be prepared to have a good time and to “bring lots of money to donate to someone so they can get out of jail.”