AGR, KD pull their way to tug victories

WKU freshman Sarah Hunton of Sigma Kappa sorority competes with her teammates during Tug at the University Farm on Friday. Tug was held as part of the annual Greek week.

Hayley Hilbert

Months of hard work had come down to this — a three minute pull to advance to the next round.

Tug, one of the final days of this year’s Greek Week, took place Friday afternoon at the WKU Farm. Fraternities and sororities had the opportunity to show their strength and determination in a down and dirty game of tug-o-war.

Members of each organization crowded around the fence and dressed in their organization’s letters to cheer on their respective tug teams.

Kappa Delta was the victor among sororities, while Alpha Gamma Rho was the victorious fraternity.

KD’s win brought tears of joy to some of the sisters as they rallied around their tug team, hugging and cheering.

Nashville sophomore Katie DePriest of KD said this year was her first year on a tug team.

“All of the practice was definitely worth it,” DePriest said. “It’s the best thing I’ve done since I’ve been in Kappa Delta.”

The second place for sororities was Sigma Kappa, and third place was Alpha Delta Pi.

The scene was similar when AGR won, as the fraternity brothers rallied around one another chanting in victory.

Franklin senior Nathan Killen of AGR said that he couldn’t have been happier about winning his last tug.

“We’ve been practicing for about three months,” Killen said. “It was all worth it, definitely. This is awesome.”

The second place for fraternities was Farm House, and third place was Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The supporters included non-Greek students as well.

Richmond freshman Amanda Gallion said that she felt compelled to support the tug teams, even though she’s not part of a Greek organization.

“There’s really not anything like this anywhere else,” Gallion said. “It’s great to come out and support friends and have a good time.”

Greek Week will continue on Saturday with Philanthropy Day and will conclude on Sunday with convocation.