Spring Sing: Greek groups pay ‘Tribute to the Past’ at Spring Sing

(right to left) Glasgow junior Katherine Rogers, Madisonville sophomore Alyssa Davis and Louisville sophomore Morgan Patton perform a “Toy Story” themed dance with their Kappa Delta Sorority sisters during Spring Sing Sunday in Diddle Arena to kick off Greek Week. “The most rewarding part of Spring Sing is walking out on stage and hearing your sorority going crazy with cheers,” Davis said. “Nothing that we do is for ourselves. It’s for our sisters.”

Hayley Hilbert

WKU fraternities and sororities danced their way into Greek Week Sunday evening.

Each organization performed in the annual Spring Sing — the kick-off event of Greek Week.

This year’s Spring Sing was titled “A Tribute to the Past.” The themes were taken from previous years of Spring Sing, and each fraternity and sorority put their own spin on their given theme.

Months of hard work boiled down to eight minutes for each fraternity and sorority to prove to the judges that they had the greatest routine.

Alissa Mansfield, coordinator of student activities for Greek affairs said the proceeds of the event will cover the event’s cost, and the remainder will be given to Habitat for Humanity. The amount of money the event earned should be calculated by Wednesday, Mansfield said.

Teams flooded the hallways of Diddle Arena practicing their routines one last time before the start of the show.

Louisville freshman Ausdin Pender was part of fraternity Kappa Sigma’s group, who was the first to perform, with the theme “Hip Hop on the Hilltop.”

Pender said the group had been practicing for about a month and a half.

“This week, we’ve been dancing three hours a night,” Pender said. “We even had cardio as part of our practices.”

Pender said he was nervous for his first performance, but that he was absolutely ready for Spring Sing to start.

“I’m really excited,” Pender said before the performance. “I can hear (the crowd) screaming already.”

Inside, the arena was full of students, parents and Greek brothers and sisters who were chanting, cheering and stomping to show support for their group of performers.

Bardstown freshman Maggie Conway, member or Alpha Omicron Pi sorority, said she was impressed with all of the performers.

“You can tell that they really put in a lot of time and effort,” Conway said. “It’s awesome.”

The performances gained laughs and loud cheers from the audience, as each group displayed the product of their practicing and hard work.

After the first 10 performances, groups left the arena for intermission. The groups still to perform practiced their routines for the final time.

Bowling Green freshman Erin Napier, who performed for Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, said she was excited to perform.

“Everything has been so awesome,” Napier said as she stretched. “Spring Sing has been everything I imagined, and more.”

Louisville sophomore Will Garcia, a performer for Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji), said his group had been practicing for more than a month. Garcia said no matter the outcome of the show, the practice for Spring Sing was well worth it.

“The practice provided time for all of us to hang out with each other,” he said. “Whether we win or we lose, it was a great time to bond with my brothers.”

The winners of Spring Sing will be announced this Sunday at Greek Week Convocation.